Friday, January 10, 2014
Lost in Translation...
I thought I would write about this, because as much as it puts me in a very awkward position, it also completely cracks me up!!!! My kids have always been restricted in the "bad word" department. They used to believe that the "S" word was stupid, the "d" word was darn etc.... Obviously, those days are long gone, but they still know that it isn't appropriate to say "the real" bad words. The problem with this though is that society has changed the rules a bit and I am reminded often that even teachers use these other words occasionally. Here is where it gets kind of funny with regard to living in Germany... The translation for the "sh" word is very commonly used here. By commonly used, I mean even in kindergarten sometimes. It would be very common to hear "Das ist Sh&%" yelled at a soccer game. No parent would even flinch. The translation is just different - and in this culture it isn't quite as harsh. The other thing that is funny, is that because kids learn English beginning in 3rd grade, they also learn the English bad words. The problem is that they once again, don't quite know the severity or even the political correctness of certain words. Camden's best friend is German, and is practically a member of the family. He speaks excellent English, but every once in a while makes us laugh with the translation. One of the things that the boys love to do is to play "Nerf War." Often the intensity of the game gets a little much. A few weeks ago, during the game, we were all standing around (Mia included), and his friend said, "What the F*&%?" My eyes lit up, and I said, "Oh no, you can't say that - that is not nice to say." He couldn't grasp his mind around it because he said that EVERYONE says it... his teachers, his family etc..). So funny. I won't even begin to mention in detail the political correctness part of this concept, but things that we would be absolutely shunned for saying in our society today, can be lost in translation easily over here. Like I said earlier, as much as it puts me in a VERY awkward position, it completely cracks me up!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment