It is really weird around here. The school that Bailey and Camden go to (and that I have worked at this year) is closing forever. The entire base is closing for ever, so naturally the school must close too. This week is the last week for most of the kids, and then soon, all of these people will be sprinkled all over the world....Japan, Alaska, Hawaii, Italy, Kansas, Texas, Netherlands etc... It is such a weird thing. We are one of only a handful of families remaining. It is an interesting process to watch. Many conversations begin with, "So, do you know where and when you are going?" It has been a unique experience for the kids to go to a school that is closing. There were lots of opportunities, lots of benefits (lots of things were free this year, because they had money that needed to be spent - what a nice problem to have!). Classes were so small that it was almost comical at times! Bailey showed up one day for one of her classes (that only had 2 other kids in it) and no one was there - not even the teacher! On the reverse side, They saw many friends leave (and no one new to replace them) - kind of sad. One thing is for sure....there will never be another experience like it!
On another note, we have been busy house hunting. We think we found one (knock on wood), and we are just waiting for all of the legalities. This one, we found on our own without using a real estate agent. It makes me happy, because my German has definitely gotten better since moving here (there is no way we could have done it on our own six years ago). The house is nice - definitely different than what we have now, but hopefully will serve its purpose (Maybe I am jumping the gun a bit - as the contract hasn't been signed yet - so I guess you never know what might happen.) Things are moving quickly though. The kids are excited for the future, but of course a little sad (especially Mia) to leave our daily life here. We still have a little time left before we leave, but I warned you that as part of my sadness, I need to grieve a little :-), and this writing is part of the grieving :-).
And now for my truly complete randomness... something that made me laugh.... Mia and I had a huge breakthrough in Chinese Class last week. In previous weeks, we had learned to count to 10. The big reveal last week though, was that if you know how to count to 10 in Chinese, you can count to 100. We were so excited (never in my life did I think I would be able to count to 100 in Chinese). So Mia blurts out (in German), "Chinese is sooo easy - it just makes sense! Not like English, where you have a word like "tough" that is spelled so funny." I always make Mia read in English to try to keep her in line with what she might be learning in American school. Sometimes she gets so irritated because the spelling of some words make no sense to her. Her little comment struck me so funny - She definitely is my little Chinese, German, American (gotta love it!!! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment