When we were in Jerusalum, we walked all 14 stations of the Via Dolorosa. It wasn't any type of a procession though (just our family and tour guide). My friend told me that they have a procession in Bamberg on Good Friday, and I wanted to go. Friday morning, we woke up bright and early (had to be there at 5:00 am) to gather with the arch bishop (and about 4000 other people -literally) to make the walk all of the way from the town up to the castle and back down, stopping at the different crosses to say prayers. It was a very moving experience. At the beginning, the cobblestone streets were dark, only lit by candles, and then as the sun came up, the fog still kind of covered the city. I kept thinking about the annual tradition, and how Bamberg has probably done this for over 1000 years. A very neat experience! *as a random side note, I was especially impressed with the fact that many of the 4000 represented, were over 60 years old - to walk hills for 3 hours really showed their fitness level :-)
 |
| This is a map (actually a puzzle) to show you the castle up on the hill... (just left of the letter "B") |
 |
| Random photo (Mia wanted me to share the Easter egg photos) :-) |
 |
| Meeting in the city at 5:00 am |
 |
| A cross along the way (one of the stops) lit by a lantern |
 |
| Almost to the castle.... |
 |
| The cross led the procession |
 |
| The arch Bishop at one of the stations... |
 |
| along the way... |
 |
| The top of the hill, over looking Bamberg - covered in fog... |
 |
| The highest point along the way |
 |
| I was amazed at how many people participated... |
 |
| (I was probably a little "paparazzi - ish", but I really wanted to remember this...:-)) |
No comments:
Post a Comment