Exactly 5 years ago today, our family moved to Germany. At the time, we had no idea what to expect. We had 3 young kids that were eagerly on board for a new adventure, and truly, we were up for anything. If worst came to worst, we would just move back to our creature comfort of what was then "home". 5 years have gone by in the blink of an eye, and I thought I would write a list of my top 20 insights that I have discovered since moving over here...(except for #1, these are in no particular order)
1. "Home" is wherever my family is
2. When you are open to new ideas and ways - it is amazing how much you can grow and learn
3. I would much rather spend money on traveling and new experiences with my family, then spend money on "stuff"
4. The world could learn so much from each other...
5. When a societies' basic needs are met, it makes for a very nice way of living
6. To sit for 5 hours at a biergarten with good conversation is a great way to spend an evening
7. A consistent education system, where kids are responsible for themselves, is really such a gift
8. To watch my kids converse in another language is really weird (but very cool)
9. With a little sacrifice, a one car family works, and saves a ton of money too (when possible)
10. I feel like I live n the 1970's - it is fantastic
11. Sometimes, when you don't understand everything that is being said, it is kind of nice :-)
12. If I could ride my bike in lieu of a car, I would do it in an instant!
13. There are many kind people in this world (all colors, shapes, sizes, religions, dialects etc.)
14. Contrary to many stereotypes, Germans DO have a great sense of humor
15. The Autobahn saves so much time, and it WORKS because everyone is properly trained to drive.
16. To travel the world with my kids, and see it through their eyes, brings me so much happiness
17. Always take advantage of whatever type of weather the day brings
18. Tradition brings so much comfort and joy to a society
19. I really wish I could find out where my ancestors came from in Germany - I think it was from Franconia, but I want this information confirmed :-) !!!!!
20. There is always another adventure around the corner!
No comments:
Post a Comment