Friday, July 19, 2013
Zugspitze
The Zugspitze is the tallest mountain in Germany. The base of it begins in Garmisch-Paretenkirche, which is right on the Austrian border in Southern Germany. For three years, I have wanted to hike the to the top of the Zugspitze. My friends and I were supposed to go on the 4th of July, but with bad weather and the uncertainty of a guide, we weren't able to go. Glaciers cover parts of the Mountain, and so snow is always a concern (even in summer). Fortunately, I was able to find a group through the base that was going, and even better, the weather is supposed to be pretty good (hopefully :-), so we are actually able to go :-). It is almost 3000 meters high, and with the route that we are going, it will take 2 days (we will sleep in a Mountain hut along the way). I told Bryan, that as I get older, I don't get super excited excited for many things, but I really am super excited for this trip. They say that the most disappointing part of it is when you get to the very top and see all of the tourists that have come up via cable car (in lieu of the hike) - it isn't quite the solace of a Mountain peak that you would envision :-) Definitely worth it anyway! Hopefully, all will go well and I will post photos after the weekend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment