Friday, September 20, 2013

Learning English as a German

So Mia had her first official "English" class today in her German school. I laughed so hard when she came home and told me all about it. She told me they learned to say, "Hello, how are you doing? What is your name? My name is..." What was so peculiar about it was the fact that when she said these phrases in English, she had a really funny way of saying them (it was like she was speaking German using English words). Here is an example... When Germans say "happy birthday", they pronounce it "Heppy Bearthday." The way their language tells them to pronounce words is different than ours. I went on to ask Mia about this strange English Dialect that she was speaking, and she went on to tell me that she had to speak funny or her teacher wouldn't understand her. I thought it was hilarious! I guess being "re-taught" a language as a German changes things up a bit. The other funny thing, is they use the Oxford English - maybe she will come out of this year with a British accent - SO FUNNY!

No comments:

Post a Comment