Thursday, September 26, 2013

Oktoberfest

I could have put up a different photo, but this is the "reality" of getting to the train station at 6:00am :-)


Inside one of the beer tents (they are called "tents", but really they are constructed buildings that take 2 months to assemble)

Oktoberfest!

Bryan and I in front of the Paulaner Beer "tent"

I was able to take this picture from the upstairs (A nice policeman let me by). Quite amazing to see!!! In order to get a table, you have to make reservations in advance!

Mia checking out the goods :-)

I couldn't resist this photo - as we were waiting for the parade - this cute little Asian Family was watching across from us - wearing Lederhosen and Dirndls - so cute!!! (My kids called a me a bit stalkerish for taking the photo :-) - I couldn't resist though!

Typisch Bayern (typical Bavarian)

Parade Route...

Lots of traditional dress and lots of beer!!

Each Brewery had several floats

B, C, and M overlooking Munich

I loved this little Graffiti  in the Bell Tower

This was funny - a random Goose was walking in the Old Town. He liked some people that walked by him, but others he would totally "quack" at and chase...

View over Munich

We stopped in at the famous Hoffbrauhaus

Camden overlooking the square from inside the Hoffbrauhaus

Most German Cities have a Market - I loved the flowers that people added to the Statue. I also took the photo because there is no open container law here in Germany (you can see people just walking around freely with their drink)

Mia loved this one - Bayern Munchen (the soccer club) has a famous saying "Mia san mia" - translation: "We are who we are"


Many European cities have this ... a part of the statue that you rub for good luck!

I was surprised by this... Munich only has 6 Breweries, While Bamberg (which is about 15 times smaller) has 9!!!

 A fun day!
I remember when we first moved here, I had asked a German friend if they had ever been to Oktoberfest - their reaction was funny...something like.."Why would I go to Oktoberfest? It is:  expensive, too crowded and the beer is not as good as in Bamberg." I have received the same reaction from numerous people over the last 5 years, and honestly had absolutely no desire to go. Bryan had been with friends a couple times, but it really wasn't something I was too keen on. Now however, being in the stage that we are (not knowing where we will be next year), I felt like it would be something I might regret not doing. I even thought of the question that would be presented to my kids for the rest of their lives when people hear that they had lived in Germany for several years..."Did you go to Oktoberfest?" and Soooo... WE WENT. Our experience, was of course nothing like it would be if we were 22 years old, single, with no kids. We went as a family, and meandered around a bit, watched the parade, ate a little bit, peeked into the big beer tents, and people watched - and you know what - we had a really fun time. We were there in the mid day of opening day- which meant people were just getting started (no drunkenness yet). We took the train from Bamberg, which also gave us free u and s bahn privileges for the day (Subway). We went to the old city and walked around too - including having a stop at the famous Hofbrauhaus. We heard English nonstop throughout the day - which reminded me that - yes - Oktoberfest is a huge tourist trap. We were pretty much disgusted at our fellow English speaking counterparts on the train (it really gave Americans a bad name). Our "family" day was fun though - and now we will never regret not having gone to Oktoberfest :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment