I always relish at the differences that Mia is experiencing in her childhood. It is such a different life than Bryan, Bailey, Camden or I experienced when we were her age. The little things always make me smile. My conversation with her this morning went something like this...
Mia: Mommy, did you know that my friend _____ goes to a cafe by herself between school and her after school activities?
Me: What does she do there?
Mia: She orders lunch and then does her homework at the table. Afterwards, when she is finished with everything, she walks to her afternoon activity.
Me: Wow! (and then I was a little speechless)
Mia: Do you think my friend and I could do that between our activities one day?
This is where the difference is. At 8, I was still helping Camden tie his shoes. Bailey was quite responsible, but this would never have even been an option in our culture, as I would be arrested for child neglect. Not to mention the fact that I just never would have felt comfortable allowing this with either of them at that age. My, how times have changed! And my response was ...
Me: Sure, that sounds like fun
I LOVE the fact that an 8 year old, can go to a cafe with her friend and people will watch out for them and smile. No judgement on bad parenting, but instead smiling that these children are growing up to be so capable and responsible. Can't I just bottle this up and keep it forever???
No comments:
Post a Comment