Friday, March 21, 2014

Chinese Class


Mia does quite well with her Chinese writing...much better than me :-)

Mia and I have begun taking a weekly Chinese class. I have a wonderful friend from China who is a Chinese instructor to adults, but so graciously volunteered to teach a children's version of her class. It is just for kids, but because I would be there waiting for Mia anyway, I have meandered my way into the class too!  The kicker to the class is that we are learning Chinese through German instruction! Easy for Mia, but not always for me. They use a great little workbook, and it is really fun to learn basic words and sayings. It is really amusing to me too, because the kids seem to pick it up MUCH faster than I do.   We've learned to write a few words and we've learned the different tones (there are 4, and depending on the way the accent mark is positioned, the tone you speak is quite different). As Mia gets older, she has many more questions about China, and where she came from. My friend has been a great source for us whenever we have questions. Hopefully, we will get back to China one of these days, and then we can attempt to interact a little bit in Chinese :-)

Nǐ hǎo! (of course it means means Hello, but interestingly "Ni" means "you" and "hau" means "good")


Zàijiàn!  (Goodbye)

No comments:

Post a Comment