Thursday, October 17, 2013

Reluctant Participant :-)

One of the advantages of Bailey and Camden's school this year is that it is very small, and they have a lot more flexibility with things. As a result, very much reluctantly, Camden was required to take band this year (all 7th graders were). The great thing is that they have all the instruments on hand, so literally the kids had their pick at what they wanted to play. Camden wanted to play "whatever required the least practice", and so he was assigned to the "percussion" section as his new forte (OK, well not so much forte :-)). Because of a schedule change, he missed the first several classes, which meant that he was a little lost from the get go. Being that neither Bryan nor I are musical in any way (except for the fact that we enjoy listening to music), we were no help at all. They recently had their first band concert though, and I must admit I was pleasantly surprised at the group.   Certainly, they were not Symphony ready, but they could carry a tune as a group, and we smiled when we heard a few xylophone clings from the back (that was Camden :-). The next concert, the teacher is allowing the percussion section to move on from the xylophone to drums, so I think Camden will enjoy that a little more. I loved the speech that the teacher gave...he reminded the students and parents, that in life, sometimes being required to do something that is not something you necessarily want to do, can result in something very positive. While I don't necessarily think Camden will be the next Beethoven, hopefully, he will look back on his year in band and be glad that it was a class requirement (I think he will ;)

Our little guy in the back :-)



The 7th grade band

Not bad at all for only a month and a half of practice...


No comments:

Post a Comment