Saturday, October 19, 2013

Thank goodness for timing, sidewalks, nice people, and preventative thinking!!!

Trying to fit everyones' activities into our calendar with one car is sometimes challenging. It is often like a giant puzzle. It is so nice though, because for the most part we can walk/ ride bikes to  almost anything we need to do. Riding bikes to soccer though, is not an easy option (it is possible, but not easy). We had a bit of a crazy week, with lots of happenings. One being a funny situation (OK, not so funny at all the time). We had a big moving truck blocking my car in this week - Driving the monstrosity that we do, it is OFTEN challenging here. The roads are just not built for large cars, but the nice thing is that people are usually very accommodating to oncoming traffic, and somehow, it always seems to work out. The dilemma came when I had to pick Camden's friend up to bring them to soccer practice. Because I didn't know how long the moving truck would take to get out of the way (they were in the middle of unpacking and it was not so easy to close everything up to move the truck), I had to leave early because it could have been have been as much as a 20 minute wait. I got out O.K, drove to his friend's house, parked on the street in front of his friend's house, turned off the car, chatted with Camden, and waited until his friend was to come out (we were 15 minutes early). After 15 minutes, he came out, I turned the key, and the car wouldn't start. UGH!!! I had left my lights on!!!!

In over 5 years, this was the first time something like this had happened. The only child I had with me was Camden. Bailey had stayed after school, Mia was at a friend's house (that of whom I did not have the phone # on me), Bryan was due at the train station in 10 minutes, Camden and his friend were due at Soccer practice, and I was supposed to go to the Brose Basketball game with friends that had an extra ticket - and we were supposed to leave in 1 1/2 hours. UGH!!!!! How was this going to work???? Here is what happened: His friend's Mom came out and offered to bring the boys to practice, I called Bryan on the train and he walked the 5 minutes from the train station to where I was to check out the car, I called Bailey and she walked the 10 minutes to meet Bryan and I. I called ADAC (the  European equivalent to AAA)  - thank goodness we pay that fee each year for situations just like this!!!. The Mom of Camden's friend came back from dropping off the boys and offered to bring Bailey and Bryan home (they could have walked, but the offer and ride was much appreciated). *I stayed behind because the ADAC membership is in my name. Once home, Bryan could walk to pick up Mia at her friends' house (on time none the less).  I waited for the ADAC truck to come with my fully charged fairly new Smart phone - that I am horrible with and had time to mess around a bit with. Camden's friend's Mom brought out a lovely bottle of homemade schnaps that she knew I may enjoy later and then she went to pick up the kids from soccer. (I know it sounds funny that a "soccer mom" would give another "soccer mom" a bottle of scnapps, but we do live in Franconia and that would be considered very typical :-) The ADAC truck arrived, and the man shook his head thinking it might be more than just the battery, but after hooking up the cables it started right up. I drove home and with 10 minutes to spare, I walked to my friends house to go with her and her husband to the basketball game (Bryan had gone the previous week with them to the game and had a great time).

In the end, I couldn't help but smile and be thankful for the way things work out - I wasn't quite feeling that way in the beginning :-)  We are usually quite mindful of details, so it was nice to have that organization come full circle somehow. It reminded me to; always keep that ADAC membership, ALWAYS have the needed telephone #'s in my car, always keep my phone charged, turn off the lights when the car is turned off,  be grateful for responsible children, BUY JUMPER CABLES!!!!, be grateful for such nice friends, and smile because it could have been much worse!!!

I am still a little angry at the moving truck that made me leave early to begin with, but i guess I need to just let it go :-).....




No comments:

Post a Comment