Monday, March 9, 2015
The Metzgerei
I wrote earlier about the Bakery and thought I should mention the Metzgerei (butcher) also. A Metgerei is also on every corner here. We have 2 within eyesight of our house. Our old house in Bamberg actually was near the "Butcher (Schlachthof) District". (where you would go if you needed bulk amounts of meat for B- BQ's and such. It was very fresh - so fresh that sometimes you would have to close your eyes (and ears) on the way through the gate. Yes - I could EASILY be a vegetarian!. The Germans know their meat and it is funny because once again they are very educated with regard to each specific cut of meat - and in English to boot! I think it is part of their schooling - it must be (I guess I will soon find out with Mia). Anyway, another thing that is funny, is that I have always bought Hamburger in a sealed package from the Grocery Store. When you go to the Metzgerei, they shred (is that the word?) the large pieces of meat into what I know from the grocery store. Once again - definitely fresh! Mia loves going to the Butcher because they give the kids free samples of gelbwurst (yellow sausage). Yes - no cookies - just a good old slice of sausage - so funny!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment