Friday, June 5, 2015

China - Day 4 (Qianjiang)

After an amazing day before, I just wanted to spend more time in the city itself, but our new friend suggested that we go to a place an hour by bus from the city (and I am so glad she did). We took a taxi to the bus station and then took the wild bus ride to a lake called "The Small South China Sea. The reason I say that it is wild is because there are huge cliffs down mountains, no seatbelts, and the bus passing on hairpin turns (have no fear though because they had special honks to warn the oncoming traffic that they were passing on a turn - yikes!!!). Anyway, the scenery was absolutely breathtaking and everywhere you looked, there was something so interesting to see! Our friend took us on quite an adventure by offering a way to save a bit of money to the park entrance (again - yikes!). We took a motorcycle to a farm and then hiked through a Bamboo forest to the park (did I mention that I have never been on a motorcycle - nor had my kids). I am always up for an adventure though and I always find things like this to be a highlight on trips - and it definitely was. Once we got to the park, we walked around and had lunch. It was beautiful! When we walked out the main entrance (the one we did not go in by) we learned that in the mid 1850's there was a huge devastating earthquake here. So much of the geography was the way it was because of the earthquake. After spending the afternoon there, we took the bus (yes the crazy one) back to Qianjiang City. The girl that we had met on the train had arranged to meet us for dinner. Again, such amazing hospitality! She took us to a local place with delicious food and when I went to pay - she would not allow it. She told us that her parents told her that she should treat us and that this is custom. They would be dissappointed if they did not get to do this -I was so humbled. After dinner we walked around in the evening. Her parents then joined us and they showed us all around. It was a typical Wednesday eveing for them, but to me it looked like they were having the biggest festival of the year. People dancing, people doing Tai Chi, kids activities, families everywhere, Chinese Music on the loud speaker, people playing cards, people eating, people strolling - it was amazing! Again, even though they might not be be rich with "stuff" - they are definitely rich with life! Definitely a lesson to be learned.

On the bus ride out of town, we picked up these kids. They must have had some type of thing for school - only half of them could fit on the bus - they were so cute! 

These are the cliffs I was talking about...

The landscape was amazing!

a waterfall in the distance...
so pretty!

As we got closer to the lake, it flattened out a bit. Here are rice fields across the street from where we got the motorcycle...


More scenery across the street

There was only 1 mototrcycle, so Camden and I went first and waited at the farm, then the driver went back for Bryan and Mia, and lastly he went back for Bailey and our friend. It was a little nerve racking - but sometimes in life, you just have to have trust in strangers :-)  (My eyes are definitely showing my emotion at the time though :-)) Something like "ARE we really doing this???"

And there goes Camden and I off to somewhere (at the time - we weren't exactly sure where :-)

And while we waited for the next group of 2, Camden and I played peekaboo with this little girl at the farm. Priceless!

Bryan and Mia were next!
And here come Bailey and our friend - finally we were all back together

And then we started the walk to the lake - Bryan looking a little questioning, as we begin our hike through a Bamboo forest... something like "Where exactly are we going???"

And then up a big hill...

And the view looking back over the farm where we waited...

And the hike continues...


and finally we came out at a small touristy spot. We saw this little girl - again the sweet little lips and big cheeks :-)

We all got pretty good at using chopsticks on the trip  :-)

The view of of the bridge and lake - so pretty

Mia and I with our friend. The entire 3 days - she wore heels - very high heels -as does EVERYONE in this area (see below)

Bailey overlooking the lake...

Our hike up to the top of a small mountain... (keep in mind those heels I was talking about)

The view at the top!

Yes - these were the heels! We walked and hiked a mountain, rode a motorscycle, hiked some more, walked some more, and climbed another mountain. I kept asking her if she was ok - and each time she said yes - do not worry about me. We laugh that this is the piece of the puzzle also - it explains why Mia loves shoes and high heels (it is because EVERYONE wears them here :-))

Bryan and I at the top...

The kids with the bridge in the background...

We joke that we could make millions translating signs and t-shirts into proper English. I think they got this messed up a bit - it says: Garabge into the pool please" - so funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment