Thursday, December 6, 2012
A beautiful Gift!
December 6th, is the day that St. Nikolaus fills the boots of children up with chocolate, nuts, and fruit. It is a wonderful tradition, based more on giving than receiving. Last night (Dec. 6th), as we were eating, the door bell rang, and I selfishly rolled my eyes wondering who could be ringing and interrupting our dinner. I ran downstairs, thinking I would find one of the kids' friends wanting to play, but instead it was another neighbor. We have so many nice neighbors, but this particular lady is married to a nice man, and they are always very friendly. They often take part in our little "get togethers" that we have every so often in our common space. She handed me three little bags filled with chocolate and a small gift. She is Turkish, but speaks perfect German and explained to me which of the bags was for my: son, older daughter, and younger daughter. I gave her a hug and thanked her - what a very kind gesture. As I was walking back up the stairs to deliver the kind gifts and to join my family again for dinner, it hit me how very special this gift really was. Our kind neighbors are Muslim. They don't celebrate Christmas, yet thought enough of us to offer this beautiful little gift. It was such a meaningful gift, and it struck me how difficult we make things sometimes on a higher level. Kindness is kindness. They respected our holiday and beliefs, even though it is not the holiday that they share. Isn't that the way the world should turn...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment