Friday, January 11, 2013

Geschichte (History)

We went out to dinner last night with some friends. The only way I can explain it, is that it was like something out of a book. The sky turns dark early now, and so when we parked our car and were walking toward the restaurant, we saw the candles already shimmering in the window, and the natural decorations were glowing in the reflection of the light. It was very cold, and we were bundled up with warm clothes. As soon as we walked in though, you could feel the heat from the wood stove. The restaurant is dated back to the 1300's and the food was unbelievable (and as always, more than reasonably priced). It is hard to even fathom that something can be that old. You also wouldn't know that it was dark and quiet outside, because inside the building, it was lively and bright (the decorations were very basic, but the people were bright and lively). I love history, and I could envision the restaurant like an old tavern, where people would ride their horses to get there. Honestly, it would not surprise me at all, if you still have a few horses - Seriously!! Sometimes I feel like I've stepped back in time, and I love the simplicity of it all. The trust in people, the character, and the tradition are all amazing.  The weird thing is that these places are everywhere here. Kind of like a time capsule. I think the older generation here worries about the next generation changing, and losing some of the characteristics of the culture.  I guess they have been able to hold onto it for this long, so they have a fairly good track record.

No comments:

Post a Comment