Over the last 2 days, I have spent the morning at indoor soccer tournaments. Bailey had hers the first day, and Camden's was the 2nd day. Ironically they both started at 8:00am and were also held at the same place (even though they play for 2 different clubs). Both of their clubs were hosting their tournaments the day of their events. This post might be a little rambling, but there is so much tradition and organization that amazes me, and I wanted to share. I know this organization and tradition goes far beyond just my kids soccer clubs, because I have friends who belong to other clubs, and it is the same. Let me begin with the food. The tournaments are all day events. My kids only played in the morning, but other age groups come and continue throughout the day. They have to have food, and lots of it. As I was helping at the food counter, I explained to my German friends that I had never seen such consistency and organization as I have at the food counters at these tournaments. Today they sold pizza (not Papa Johns, but pizza previously prepared and cooked right then - by us - in a pizza oven). They have hundreds of bulky rolls that are prepared (by us) with salami (pepperoni), cheese, pickles, and other meats, they have crates and crates of soda bottles, giant pretzels, cake, hot steak-type sandwiches, hot coffee, two types of bier on keg (of course) etc. Often they might sell french fries as well (cooked by us). It seems like such a procedure, but every club has all of the necessities to make it happen quite easily. Their kitchens are fully stocked with everything you need. They even have the drink trucks come and pick up the recyclables and drop off new bottles. As a side note, they also do not use plastic anything - everything is real (real plates, real cups, real spoons, knives, forks etc) and all is washed (by us). You would think this would take the coordination of half a year to organize, but it doesn't, and still all comes together like a well oiled machine. I think the reason it does is because of tradition. It is what has always been done, everyone does it, and everyone knows how it works and what to expect - at every club - at every tournament. It is quite amazing. The other thing, is that these; tournaments, games, practices (both indoor and outdoor) etc. cost us nothing - it is all about the kids enjoying the sport, and not about making a profit. Another tradition at these tournaments comes at the very end. Each team (no matter which place they come in) receives a soccer ball for the team (not the player, but the team). Extremely practical for sure! The top few teams win a soccer ball, and a little extra cash for their team fund. The team fund is sustained on a larger level through the sale of food at the games/tournaments. This fund goes to buying the kids a Christmas gift and end of the season gift (usually a cool team jacket, bag, jersey etc...) When the individual teams "place standing" is announced, a couple of the team members come up to the microphone and say a few words (usually a "thank you for the invitation... type speech). It gives these young kids confidence in public speaking and also makes them appreciate all of the work that has been put into it (very well thought out, and part of the tradition...). The last part that I think is so funny, and goes along with the societal part of things is the fact these tournaments were held on a Thursday and Friday. Most people have to work these days (including Bryan), yet everyone else was in attendance - coaches, parents, kids etc. It is still school vacation, so the kids have off, but this is the benefit of having 6-8 weeks of paid vacation (plus holidays) in Germany. When parents have these obligations, it is no big deal to take off because they have plenty of time. I love these traditions and think the society works so well, and the kids truly benefit, as a result!
****One last funny thing... Bryan and I always joke that I am the one that ends up helping at the counter, taking orders, and receiving money. It definitely helps me with my German vocabulary, and by the end I have mastered several new words. The poor customers must think I am an idiot, but I guess it is all for a great cause :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment