 |
| Bailey and Camden taking a break at an Alm (hut)... |
I just read a great book about the real lives and perspectives of 5 sisters that grew up in a family of 10 in New England. "The Satellite Sisters" share their tidbits in the compiled book of stories, but also are apparently part of a successful radio show as well. One of the sections of the book was called "Carrying your own skis." I clearly remember as a young kid, schlepping my skis, poles, and backpack, while also walking in ski boots the distance from the car to the ski lodge. Anyone that is familiar with skiing knows the feeling - and especially when you are young, it is not always an easy task. In the book, the one sister mentions how they were taught as young kids to "carry their own skis" As a family with 8 kids, the mom and dad couldn't help carry anyone's skis because they would be carrying their own: skis, clothing, cooler of food etc. The sister talked about how "carrying your own skis" was a great metaphor for life (Basically taking responsibility for your responsibilities), and how surprising that many people in the world have not learned how to "carry their own skis." I can totally relate to this metaphor, and have to ask the question of my own children - Can they carry their own skis? Yesterday (for President's Day), Camden, Bailey, and I went skiing - I am happy to say - they did carry their own skis. The idea is now a daily thought in my mind. My goal as a parent is to make sure my kids can "carry their own skis" happily throughout life :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment