Saturday, February 23, 2013

Unesco World Heritage Site

Before moving to Europe, I had never heard of the Unesco World Heritage Site Honor.  Often when we go places over here, they are "Unesco World Heritage Sites." In order to get the distinguished honor, there is a ton of criteria that has to be met. When we were in Ireland, at the Newgrange monument, I was really surprised to see a map of all of the World's Heritage Sites. I was surprised that the US had only a handful (including the biggies: Statue of Liberty, a few National Parks, Jefferson's Monticello, Independence Hall etc.) What I was really surprised to see was that Bamberg was only one of a handful of places in the entire world where the entire town is honored for being a World Heritage Site.  It isn't just one building or one park, but instead, the entire town. It definitely should be, but I was still kind of surprised that it was one of only a very small percentage that are distinguished with such an honor. Ich bin stolz! :-) Here is the website to see the requirements and all of the Unesco World Heritage Sites...
http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/

No comments:

Post a Comment