Thursday, February 7, 2013

My Special Friend....

One of the things that I feel sad about, is never having the opportunity (or so much the desire at the time, being a young kid) to talk to my Grandparents about their experience living overseas. My Grandfather was a Colonel in the Military, and they lived in Paris (my Mom was born there as well). I just think it would be so fascinating to talk to them today about their experiences, and the similarities and differences from what we are experiencing now. Were the French people kind around the middle of the century?, What was it like? Was it hard not having things like Skype, Magic Jack, and internet to keep in touch with loved ones back home? Did it change the way they looked at the world? Did they appreciate things differently? etc. I know it was a huge highlight in their life, and probably played a big role in shaping who they were, and how they viewed life. My Grandad fought in 2 wars, sailed from New England to California (through the Panama Canal) on a sailboat, had 4 kids, worked on Lobster Boats, was an Engineer, and lived until he was 96 - He probably experienced more in his single life than the average person would have in 5 lifetimes. I now really love history, and truly wish I had had the opportunity today to learn more about their adventures together.  

Although, I did not get to speak to my Grandparents about these things, I have a really special friend now who I have greatly enjoyed talking with for the past several years here in Germany. I kind of feel like the Guy in the book, "Tuesday's with Morrie" trying to find wisdom and insight from someone that has experienced so much life, and is now at the point in their life when they are looking backwards rather than ahead. My friend has lived through a War at home (being a German teenager, and living though WWII), seen suffering, worked hard, lived through 3 different currencies, lived through food rationing, lost a child, had family gone for years due to the fact they were POW's, yet found appreciation in the little things, and his perspective is amazing. While there were no Disney trips, cruises, vacations, Computers, IPODs, etc. in his life, he has lived an extremely interesting, yet incredibly hard  life. I feel so fortunate to have my special friend. It is amazing how willing he is to speak on such subjects that many people wouldn't, and I thrive on learning more. My visits with him start out as a quick "hello" and then turn into 1 1/2 hour in depth conversations. His insight would be worthy of a novel, but I don't think that would be of any interest to him. I am so appreciative of our friendship, and he has taught me so much about life. Knowing how sad I am at the thought of having to leave here, he always tells me, "aber Allison, müssen Sie mit Bryan gehen. Er hat einen guten Arbeiten, Sie und Ihre Familie haben Ihre Gesundheit, und Sie haben viel Glück.!" Translated: but Allison, Bryan has a good job, you and your family are healthy - you have much luck. Coming from his perspective, I totally agree! I am just grateful for his wisdom, and help in putting real priorities in perspective!

No comments:

Post a Comment