Saturday, October 11, 2014

A first for everything (and a sweet first at that!!!!)

In Germany, when you go to a restaurant (especially a beer garden type place), it is not uncommon to sit at a table with strangers. The tables are big and if there are no empty tables and you want a place to sit down, you just go up to a table and ask if the empty space at the table is free. For the most part, with 5 people, we usually find a table to ourselves, but not always. Some of the most interesting conversations come from sitting with strangers. Today was one of those interesting conversations...

I have been really practicing my German and after 28 hours of German class (not that I am counting or anything :-)), my German is improving.  Anyway... so Bryan, Mia, and I shared a table with two couples today. They weren't from Bavaria, so their dialect of German was quite different than what I am used to.  I was excited to carry on a conversation though, and when they asked where I was from, I told them where we live in Germany (I never mentioned where we are actually from). A lot later on in the conversation, I mentioned where we were actually from, and they were shocked, because they thought I was from Asia :-). My eyes have been bothering me, and I have been wearing glasses instead of contacts. So with my glasses, and dark hair (and of course my Asian child beside me), they thought we were from Asia. They said that they never would have guessed where we are actually from!  I smiled and got such a kick out of it! Mia laughed and thought it was so funny too. There is definitely a first for everything!


No comments:

Post a Comment