Thursday, October 2, 2014

Quite Humbling...

So...  with my mornings free (because Mia is in school), I decided to sign up for an intensive German Course. I was tested to see where I should be placed - they have a great program where you take a test (both written and verbal) and then depending on the results, you start the class where you need to. The great thing about it is that you don't have to waste time in a class going over things that you already know - you start at the point where you need to, and they have different levels beginning all of the time. Lucky for me, there was a class that began last week with other students on the same level as I am. By intensive, I mean INTENSIVE. The class is every day for 4 hours for 3 months. I am really excited, because the opportunity kind of fell in my lap and the timing and location couldn't have worked out better. If I pass the test in January, I will be legally allowed to work in Germany on the economy. (*because of Bryan's job, we are able to work and stay here now, but if we had to get a Visa on our own merit (with a job in the private sector), this would be the only way to do it).  It makes sense to have this language requirement, because they want everyone to be up to par with language to stay and work here, OR they have to leave. I am quite excited!

So here is the humbling part.... I walked into class for the first time and it is quite different than my language class in Bamberg. My Class in Bamberg was offered through the VHS (kind of like an enrichment program). This class however, is meant for people that NEED to pass this test to live here. Much different. The circumstances for living in Germany are quite varied, but asylum is one of the common reasons. As I sit in the class as a stay at home who goes home to a cozy house, a great husband, and 3 healthy kids each night, it is really an eye opener to even consider the hardships that a few of my classmates have gone through. While I haven't delved too much into political conversation (and me being me, I will have to at some point - I won't be able to contain my questions :-)), we did have a really neat conversation today. At our morning break, I am standing around a table top talking to a group of people (mostly men) - from Syria, Iraq, the Ukraine, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Hungary and Slovakia. Everyone is interested in the others' culture and then one of the girls chimed in that it was amazing hat here we are from all over the world and our common thread is that we can communicate in German to each other - it really is pretty neat, where else would you have an opportunity to talk to so many people from so many varied cultures. The people are really nice (so far ;-)) and it makes me feel utterly grateful to be taking this class as a "fun thing to do" and not out of necessity for my safety!

No comments:

Post a Comment