Bryan, Mia, and I spent the day in Regensburg the other day. I am still struggling with our move from what I deem to be the best city in the world, so it was nice to get out and be reminded that there are other great cities out there too. Regensburg is a Medieval City and has such character. It is a University City, which I have come to discover really brings a city to life! When a European City has a University, it makes all of the difference and is usually a great city (just my opinion of course ;-)). Anyway, the city was bustling and it was a fun trip. Regensburg is 1 1/2 from Bamberg, but only 45 minutes from Amberg - so it will definitely become a popular place on our list to visit.
*The only things I was disappointed about was not finding the house that Oskar Schindler (you know, the name sake of the movie "Schindler's List") lived after WWII. We saw where he was buried in Jerusalem and thought it would be neat to see where he lived too, but it is a fairly low key location and we couldn't seem to find it :-( Maybe next time...
 |
| This is where we ate... It is the Famous Historic "Wursthouse" - it is claimed to be 900 years old (yes, you read that correctly - 900 years!!!). It began serving its sausages to the workers that built the famous bridge next to it (on the Danube River). |
-
 |
| Bryan and Mia (you can see the popularity of the restaurant with the crowd behind it. It ONLY has beer and bratwurst on the menu. It is a tiny little place, but serves 6000 sausages a day!!!) |
 |
| The line at the restuarant.... |
 |
| The basket of bread on the table is charged by the honor system. It is delicious fresh baked bread, and you just tell the waiter how many you ate.... (of course, you have to have a beer (or in my case, a Radler ) with your bratwurst too:-). |
 |
| Bratwurst, sauerkraut and the yummy bread :-) |
 |
| So much character in this city! I told Mia that I could picture her driving one of these in a few years ;-) |
 |
| A Giant Mural of David and Goliath |
 |
| Mia being goofy :-) |
 |
| So... way back in the day I guess people here tried to "keep up with the Jones's" too. In Regensburg, you see several "tall houses". Supposedly, the more stories the house had, the wealthier the family was. This one was pretty tall.... |
 |
| This one was a bit taller.... (yes, that is a house!!!) |
 |
| And this one was obnoxiously tall - I guess this family must have been quite wealthy :-). Maybe they were in the 1% :-) I picture Rapunzel living in something like this... |
 |
| And of course the best (and cheapest) attraction in any European City is a Church Tower. The views can't be beat, and the climb up is always interesting... |
 |
| Stunning views.... |
 |
| And here is the Danube River and the famous Bridge that was built by the workers who ate at the Wursthaus. It is being historically renovated - that is the problem here...everything is so darn old that it needs to be renovated every so often to be safe. It stinks when you take a once in a lifetime trip to the Parthenon in Athens (for example) or the Eiffel Tower and it is draped in scaffolding or netting :-( . |
No comments:
Post a Comment